Re: master b82adee: Invalidate dir-locals-directory-cache when writing d

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: master b82adee: Invalidate dir-locals-directory-cache when writing dir-local file
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 18:45:04 +0200

From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 05:32:20 -0400

>> Oops; forgot the "Copyright-paperwork-exempt: yes", and I guess it's too
>> late to amend after I've pushed?
> Too late.

Yup.  Hard to believe we're still stuck with this problem of "unfixable
commit messages" after all these years.

We can solve it easily if we go back to CVS.

This can be fixed with a rebase or a note.

But

A rebase in a public repo is not recommended, so that's why the
fork-join workflow is usually more extended (and the default in gitlab,
github and bitbucked). So the user pushes, rebases and fixes in it's
fork freely as in a local branch, with the advantage that other users
can pull/test and comment the changes (code, message, number of commits,
benchmarks, tests) before they go in the main repo. And only few users
have write access to the master repo and they decide how to add the
changes with a rebase, a merge or a rebase+merge with no-ff (to have
linear or grouped history...).