Re: master b82adee: Invalidate dir-locals-directory-cache when writing d

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: master b82adee: Invalidate dir-locals-directory-cache when writing dir-local file
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 13:05:58 -0400

On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 at 05:52, Štěpán Němec <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> Too late.
> >
> > Yup.  Hard to believe we're still stuck with this problem of "unfixable
> > commit messages" after all these years.
>
> There's "git notes", but I guess you're aware of that.
>
> <https://git-scm.com/docs/git-notes>: "A typical use of notes is to
> supplement a commit message without changing the commit itself."

Although this only adds to the message, right? A few years ago,
someone proposed 'git replace --edit' for this, but I found it creates
a lot of refs which cause noticeable slowdown for all git
operations[1]. Not sure if 'git notes' would also create many refs.
Andreas Schwab mentioned something about a new git refs backend to
scale better[2]. Did anything ever come of that?

[1]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-07/msg01240.html
[2]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-07/msg01185.html