Re: Preloading seq.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Preloading seq.el
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 18:20:23 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 17:15:27 +0200
>
> > I'm probably missing something, because I don't understand how using
> > SOMETHING.el from a preloaded code would necessarily requore
> > preloading SOMETHING.el as well.  Isn't autoloading working?
>
> Oh, I didn't think slapping ;;;###autoload cookies on all the functions
> in seq/cl-lib was on the table, but if it is, that's a solution, too.

I don't know if we want all of them to be autoloaded, but I see no
reason not to autoload some, those which are used by preloaded code.

> By the way, I summed up the size of the .elc files loadup.el today does,
> and it's over 3MB.  seq/cl-lib.elc is 56KB.  So we're talking about
> preloading less than 2% more .elc code.  And there's 242 .el files that
> require seq/cl-lib, so I think it's unlikely that many users don't end
> up with loading seq/cl-lib, anyway, no matter what they do beyond
> starting "emacs -Q".

The way to hell is paced one step at a time.  Those 3MB were not all
added in one go, they were added one file at a time.  So we need to
examine every single file we want to add and decide on a case by case
basis, otherwise we will get 6MB instead of 3MB faster than you can
say "make autoloads".