Re: Preloading seq.el

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Preloading seq.el
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 17:35:06 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> The way to hell is paced one step at a time.  Those 3MB were not all
> added in one go, they were added one file at a time.  So we need to
> examine every single file we want to add and decide on a case by case
> basis, otherwise we will get 6MB instead of 3MB faster than you can
> say "make autoloads".

Indeed.  But in my experience, I find myself using seq/cl-lib functions
in the pre-loaded Emacs files (because I just don't have a very good
overview of which ones are preloaded and which ones aren't), and then
having to rewrite the code to avoid using those functions when it turns
out that Emacs doesn't build.

(Sometimes after pushing, unfortunately.)

So I'm saying that, in my opinion, seq/cl-lib would be good additions to
the set of preloaded packages in Emacs.  They would make the code in
those files better, and may well make them smaller in the long run
because we wouldn't have to basically open-code the seq/cl-lib
functionality, which I find myself doing now.

(But if you're OK with ;;;###autoload any time we use seq/cl-lib in
those files, then that's also fine with me, but I think that in the long
run, it's preferable to just preload them, because I think we're going
to end up with 80% of them ;;;###autoloaded.)