Re: When will emacs 27.1 be officially released?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: When will emacs 27.1 be officially released?
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2020 16:12:24 +0300

> From: Kévin Le Gouguec <kevin.legouguec@gmail.com>
> Cc: liwei.ma@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2020 11:00:26 +0200
>
> > A decision to disregard our documentation is not mine to take
> > (although I personally do have an opinion, of course).  It is
> > something the community as a whole needs to decide, and then we will
> > have to convince the Powers that Be of the GNU project; good luck with
> > that!
>
> Mmm.  I see that e.g. GCC[1], GDB[2] and Guix[3][4] put out "development
> snapshots" fresh off the master branch (≈weekly, daily, and continuously
> respectively).  Are they more diligent with documentation than Emacs is?

Development snapshots are just that: snapshots of the current
repository's master branch.  As such, they are irrelevant to the issue
at hand, because we are talking about releases, not snapshots.  (If
someone wants to set up producing daily snapshots for Emacs, I won't
mind, but doing that will not affect the release schedule in any way.)

However, since you asked: at least GDB does require the relevant
documentation changes (NEWS and the manual) with every code change
that has user-visible effect; not sure about the other 2 projects.  Of
course, GDB is a very different project in many aspects.

> > I think it was 26.3, and the problem is not the decision, the problem
> > was how much time it took.  Too much, IMO.
>
> 25.3 was the "⚠🚨 Red alert! Enriched Text is insecure! 🚨⚠" release

Time flies; sorry for misremembering.

> Here are some (lengthy) threads that the 25.3 release process triggered.
> Off the top of my head, I don't remember if there were any conclusions
> wrt hastening this process…

What else is new?