Re: Re-vitalizing cperl-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Re-vitalizing cperl-mode
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2020 16:26:42 +0300

> From: Harald Jörg <haj@posteo.de>
> Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2020 13:34:43 +0200
>
> I come here to ask for guidance how to proceed and to offer help.
>
> For the easy part, I created my own repository for cperl-mode at
> https://github.com/HaraldJoerg/cperl-mode. While working on that, I
> found that some things are easy to fix, while others need some
> refactoring, so things have diverged a bit, but not too much.  I
> maintain the current state of my hacking at
> https://github.com/HaraldJoerg/cperl-mode/blob/master/etc/NEWS.

Thank you for your interest in Emacs.

If you'd like to contribute these changes to the Emacs project, I
suggest to do 2 things in parallel:

  . use "M-x report-emacs-bug RET" to file a series of bug reports for
    the individual problems and/or improvements you'd like to submit,
    describing the issues and attaching the relevant patches

  . start the legal paperwork of assigning copyright for your changes
    to the FSF, which is needed for substantial contributions (I can
    send you the form to fill if you agree)

Then we can take this from there.

> Would it be an option to give cperl-mode a "dual life" in Emacs and in
> (M)ELPA?

We don't maintain MELPA.  As for ELPA, sure, it's possible to have a
package in both places.

> In any case: What rules / conventions / tools and frameworks should I
> obey to make my changes palatable for Emacs and/or (M)ELPA?

See CONTRIBUTE for Emacs; see README in the GNU ELPA repository for
the ELPA requirements.