Re: Do pretests reach end users? (was: When will emacs 27.1 be officiall

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: Do pretests reach end users? (was: When will emacs 27.1 be officially released?)
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2020 03:48:02 +0300

May I chime in?

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> it takes a long time for Emacs problems to be discovered and reported.  A new
> Emacs release can take years to reach end users.  We are routinely receiving
> bug reports about changes made two or more releases ago.  If you are looking
> for a single most important reason why it takes so long to put out another
> pretest, it is this one: experience shows that it takes weeks if not months
> for enough people to try a pretest and report the problems they see.

Emacs pretest release?  Is that a thing for systems other than Microsoft
Windows and Guix?

— Unstable Debian comes with Emacs 26, Ubuntu gets Emacs from Debian.
— Arch comes with version 26, AURʼs ‘emacs27’ is 27.0.60 — an outdated February
snapshot [1].
— Unstable Nix, again, contain 26th Emacs.
— Fedora provides only stable version of Emacs.
— Homebrew — guess what?

And even pretest releases for Windows do not seem to be mentioned in any way on
<https://gnu.org/s/emacs>.  How users are supposed to get them?

In other words, I am not much surprised of the lack of early bugreports.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/emacs27-git/