Current documentation of current emacs patch-submission procedures?

From: Ken Manheimer
Subject: Current documentation of current emacs patch-submission procedures?
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 12:07:47 -0400

Hi! After a long while since submitting patches (for allout.el and related stuff) I have a few new ones to submit, and am trying to track down canonical guidance on proper procedures for submitting them. (This was spurred by bug@11312, but I have some fixes for independent bugs as well.)

Traversing a maze of twisty passages (all vaguely similar) I found my way to Sending Patches, which describes a process that seems like what I used to do. But I'm perplexed when it comes to the part that mentions "commit log" with links to Change Log (and Change Log Concepts in a few ways!), seemingly interchangeably, particularly because the lisp/Changelog.* files in my current checkout of the git repository (with new commits from yesterday, for instance) have no updates since Emacs 24.3, as far as I can see.

I'm guessing that I should put the equivalent of what would have been in the ChangeLog in the commit messages, but thought I'd ask here for proper guidance. I welcome pointers to documents I missed that would have made this simpler, as well!

Ken