Re: Current documentation of current emacs patch-submission procedures?

From: Ken Manheimer
Subject: Re: Current documentation of current emacs patch-submission procedures?
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 12:35:37 -0400

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 12:23 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> From: Ken Manheimer <ken.manheimer@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 12:07:47 -0400
>
> Hi! After a long while since submitting patches (for allout.el and related stuff) I have a few new ones to
> submit, and am trying to track down canonical guidance on proper procedures for submitting them. (This
> was spurred by bug@11312, but I have some fixes for independent bugs as well.)
> [...]
> I'm guessing that I should put the equivalent of what would have been in the ChangeLog in the commit
> messages, but thought I'd ask here for proper guidance. I welcome pointers to documents I missed that
> would have made this simpler, as well!

Yes.  Try reading CONTRIBUTE in the repository, I hope it is less
confusing.  You can also look at the style of commit log messages with
"git log".

CONTRIBUTE seems to be more current and clear. Together with your confirmation, I feel I have the info I need. (It might make sense to put notes in documents like Submitting Patches deferring to CONTRIBUTE, though that might also require some time and attention to reconcile them...)

Thanks.

Thank you!