Re: buffer-face-set changes the fringe, is it a bug?

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: buffer-face-set changes the fringe, is it a bug?
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 10:24:32 +0000

Why not make that an error instead?

Because it is not an error, it's an entirely valid usage.

That you do not want to change the code is xdisp.c is one thing, with which I'm ok.

That you claim that it's a "entirely valid usage" or a "minor issue" is another, and it is plain wrong. I cannot imagine a single scenario where what someone positively wants is to have the colors of an element in the fringe change when, for example, the text is scaled up and down. If you have such a case in mind, please provide it. I filed a bug report against diff-mode.el, in which this happens.

What is true is that the default colors of the fringe (black on light gray) and the default colors of the buffer (black on white) are close enough that many users do not see the difference when this happens. I happen to use a different color for the fringe, and I'd bet I'm not the only one to do this.

Note the explanation in NEWS.22, when this display property was introduced: "Format is `display (left-fringe BITMAP [FACE])', where BITMAP is a symbol identifying a fringe bitmap, either built-in or defined with `define-fringe-bitmap', and FACE is an optional face name to be used for displaying the bitmap ***instead of the default `fringe' face***. When specified, FACE is automatically merged with the `fringe' face."

I took the liberty to add one more message to this already too long thread, to answer RMS's question. Now I stop arguing again.

Thank you for your attention.

Gregory