Re: Opaque objects and Emacs documentation

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Opaque objects and Emacs documentation
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 17:56:46 +0300

From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 03:43:41 +0300

Doesn't the Commentary cover most (all?) of the above?

Documenting stuff in the commentary is better than nothing, but it is
sub-optimal: our Help commands don't scan comments, so the information
that is only in comments is less discoverable, certainly by users.

We do have 'M-x describe-package', though (C-h P).

Therefore, I think any information important to users should be in doc
strings and the manual, not just in comments.

I agree, but it's not like we can describe what the "current project" is in concrete terms in a user-facing command.

As for the manual, we already talked about this. Hopefully when you start on the alternative project backend, it can persuade you to include more higher level language in the descriptions.