Re: Extend tabulated-list-mode to support marks

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Extend tabulated-list-mode to support marks
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 10:23:30 -0400

>> > and (2) if maybe tabulated-list-mode would benefit from a generic
>> > implementation of multiple marking, unmarking, marking-for-deletion,
>> > and command application.
>>
>> Maybe "for deletion" is too application-specific (some uses of
>> `tabulated-list-mode` can't "delete" or at least not conveniently enough
>> that it's a common use case), but a definite +1 for the rest.
>
> My point is that there are many instances of a generic scenario:

Fully agreed.  I was just pointing out that to keep it generic it might
be better to start with limiting it to support "mark/unmark" and "apply
command to marked elements" without presuming that "deletion" might be
such a command (e.g. in package.el I'm not sure "deletion" makes a lot
of sense since most of the entries listed reflect the existence of
something on a remote server that's not under the user's control).

        Stefan