Re: A question about overlays and performance.

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: A question about overlays and performance.
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 02:04:45 +0300

>> Any chance to fix also bug#40808? It's still open because there is
>> no solution for isearching invisible text in org-mode.
>
> Thanks for pointing out this bug. Searching actually works fine on my
> feature branch + patched isearch (though it is actually an unintended
> side-effect). However, (setq isearch-lazy-count t) leaves the last
> headline open. I will need to investigate this.

Leaving the last headline open is a known bug fixed in
https://debbugs.gnu.org/40808#8
Here it's explaned:

  "And also it fixes an old bug existed in previous Emacs versions
  where lazy-highlight didn't update lazy-highlighting when a hidden outline
  was automatically opened at the end of the file (I noticed this bug only now).
  So the condition ‘(eq search-invisible 'open)’ fixes an old bug..."

>> The problem is that org-mode puts the text property 'invisible'
>> only when the link is scrolled into view, I guess it puts the property
>> using font-lock.
>>
>> So it seems org-mode needs to use font-lock-ensure on the line
>> with the next search hit before calling isearch-filter-predicate
>> on the found occurence.
>
> I am currently undecided about searchability of hidden text in links. Do
> I understand correctly that you prefer the hidden parts of links to be
> searchable? Either way is possible. If hidden parts are searchable, it
> will be even possible to show them temporarily.

The hidden parts of links should be searchable when the value of
'search-invisible' is 't' ("Match hidden text").