Re: A question about overlays and performance.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A question about overlays and performance.
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2020 10:44:02 -0400

> - text hidden via text properties is not well-handled by isearch. For
>   overlays, isearch can temporary reveal the hidden text, which is not
>   the case for text hidden using 'invisible text property.

The recommending way to avoid this problem is to provide a patch which
extends Isearch's handling of invisible text to text-properties.
There's no reason to presume it would be hard to do.

> - text properties are not buffer-local in indirect buffers. With
>   overlays, it is possible to have define hidden text in basic and
>   indirect buffer independently. However, text properties will always be
>   shared and the text hidden in indirect buffer will automatically be
>   hidden in the base buffer as well.

And the way I recommend to avoid this problem is to stay clear of
indirect buffers (which I consider as an attractive nuisance).

        Stefan