Re: Include which-key.el in the Emacs distribution

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: Include which-key.el in the Emacs distribution
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 15:12:54 -0400

Eli Zaretskii writes:

>> From: Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org>
>> Cc: ams@gnu.org (Alfred M. Szmidt),  stefan@marxist.se,  justin@burkett.cc,
>>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 13:37:27 -0400
>>
>> > Btw, did you figure out how to scroll to the next page?  In
>> > particular, after typing "C-h" that shows the first page of Help
>> > commands?
>>
>> Pagination is done by hitting C-h C-n and C-h C-p, or C-h n and C-h p
>> when the which-key popup is active.
>
> Did you actually try that after typing C-h?

Oh, my bad; I think I misread/misunderstood your question.  I had indeed
not tried with C-h, but with other prefixes like C-x and C-c.  With
those prefixes, C-h C-n et al. work fine, but it seems that for C-h it
does not.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

> And even after other prefix keys, like C-x, these paging commands are
> highly unintuitive, certainly for an Emacs user, and are not easily
> discoverable (are they documented in the README or in some other
> place?).
>
> This package "needs work", IMHO.

I agree, the user interface could be better.  I'm just generally happy
to see which-key discussed on emacs-devel for inclusion in GNU Emacs
itself and possibly being enabled out of the box (perhaps as part of one
of the new layers/modules/themes idea of Stefan and others).