Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 00:31:57 +0300

On 08.09.2020 18:28, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

On 08.09.2020 17:20, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Once more complex
situation arise, my opinion is that undo-tree is more complex and
harder to grasp than the Emacs undo, so I don't think undo-tree is
better suited to newbies than the default undo.

I'm pretty sure undo-tree is better for complex situations thanks to of
its visualization interface.

If visualization is the main advantage, we could have visualization
for the default undo as well.  That's not the complex part, and not
what differentiates between the 2 undo's.

Having separate bindings shouldn't hurt either, especially in said complex situations.

And try to consider how the visualization would look. I think it would have to be like a tree (basically, like the one undo-tree paints). Then it would probably be logical to have at least two different commands which allow traversing the buffer states in both directions along the branches of that tree. And presto, we got undo-tree again.

Perhaps I'm lacking in imagination, though.