Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 15:49:42 +0200

tomas@tuxteam.de writes:

> On Wed, Sep 09, 2020 at 12:00:19PM +0200, Ergus wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>> I think that there is so much fragmentation in the user community
>> because we don't have anything "official" more dynamic and modern (or
>> familiar) than the mailing list.
>
> Yes, I see that. I try to ignore the little value judgement subliminally
> packed in "modern" :-)
>
> It'll be as difficult to "move" the mailing list people to...
>
>> I mean something equivalent to gitter/trello/github's issues/slack
>> channel. So the users create/find their own alternatives and this ends
>> in many sub communities.
>
> ...gitter/trello/github (or reddit) as it'll be the other way around.
> After all some stick to mail for good reasons (as some love github
> for some other good reasons)...
>
>> The closest is the reddit channel where Eli interacts frequently. But of
>> course there is not any link to that in the emacs site, the readme or
>> anywhere.
>
> ...so I think we'll have to live in a somewhat diverse landscape and
> find ways around there.

I don't think that Emacs popularity has to do with how Emacs is developed.
Blender's popularity didn't rise in last few years because they switched
development to more "modern" platform, but because they changed the
application from using an obscure in-house interaction model to more
standard ("modern") interaction model as used in other applications.

> "Multilingual" people (as you are, but also Eli) are an important part
> of this, I think.

Emacs is not directly the most popular text editor/IDE amongst english
speaking programmers either, so I don't think it has anything to do with
the language per se, but it would certainly be a plus for Emacs if
manual was avialable in all worlds languages, as well as gui etc.

By the way, personally, I hate when I see error messages (or other) from
my OS or GCC in Swedish. In my opinion it was horrible idea to localize
GCC and stdlib error messages. If I get compile/error message I wish to
be able to copy it and search for it on SX/Google wherever. Having those
in local language (swedish in my case) is just useless; the community is
so small and hits are very few, unlike english speaking community. Same
goes for elisp and emacs, the "local" community is miniscule compared to
english speaking one.

I have LC_ALL=C in my .bashrc, so at least GCC spits compile errors in
english.