Re: How are the defaults chosen?

From: Bonface M. K.
Subject: Re: How are the defaults chosen?
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 01:20:38 +0300

Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> writes:

> On 2020-09-09 18:07 +03, Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This entire discussion seems to start out from the premise that the
>> defaults change willy-nilly, when the reality is that Emacs is famous
>> precisely for being very backwards compatible and conservative.  They
>> change only when there are strong reasons to do so.
>
> I think this discussion is happening because until recently Emacs was
> the kind of software where the users were the developers and the
> developers were the users.  Even if a user weren’t actively
> participating here, they were aware of it and how things happened.  But
> recently we’re experiencing an influx of new users that are coming from
> different background and through different pathways who are not really
> familiar with how things happen, and clear explanations of how things
> happen here could help bridge the gap.
>
>> I think it would be more useful to demonstrate some important breaking
>> changes that we should not have done.
>
> Didn’t intend to imply such stuff happened.  Sorry if it was understood
> that way.  Just that, as above, there’s a large community of Emacsers
> that are not familiar with say pre-2010 FOSS development, with how
> things are decided in a mailing list, debbugs, etc.

I'm exactly this user(Also first time posting here). I stumbled into
emacs by accident(I looked up "opposite of vim" online and found Emacs
and I've been using it ever since). Started using debbugs recently
because of the GUIX and Guile projects(that space has a lot of Emacses
users that occasionally give tips).

--
Bonface M. K. (https://www.bonfacemunyoki.com)
One Divine Emacs To Rule Them All