RE: Discoverability (was: Changes for 28)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Discoverability (was: Changes for 28)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 09:53:11 -0700 (PDT)

>> 1. Add the Describe sub-menu to the top in addition to having it as a
>>    sub-menu in Help.
>
> These are very good ideas.  1 and 2 are quite concrete -- I think
> people could go off right now and implement them, figuring out the
> details along the way.

Why is #1 a good idea?  IIUC, the suggestion is
to create a separate menu-bar menu for Describe.

To me, Help > Describe makes a lot of sense.
It's not single-click, but it's main purpose is
discoverability - in particular, discovering
keys that describe things.

Menu-bar space is a scarce resource, especially
when mode-specific menus are added.

If we were really eager to sacrifice menu-bar
space by adding more menus there, especially
ones that would be shown in all modes, I can
imagine more important ones to add (Search,
for example, which can include Replace and more
items).

(And other Edit submenus, such as Go To and
Bookmarks could reasonably be moved to File;
they're not particularly about editing.)