Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 23:34:03 +0200

Gregory Heytings via Emacs development discussions. <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
writes:

> Göktuğ Kayaalp:
>>
>> There was an idea in another thread that we could ask major distros
>> to not disable menu bar, and I said I could create the issues, but I
>> though I’d wait for some of the maintainers (dis)agree first. What
>> do you think, would such a thing be useful?
>>

> I'm not a maintainer, but FWIW my opinion is that what will most
> likely happen is that they will never agree to do this.  Menus are not
> "modern".

FWIW, we don’t disable the menu bar in Guix.

It seems super weird to me to disable a feature like that for all users
of the package.  We disable anti-features (like an application phoning
home), but why would any distribution maintainer decide for the users on
something like that?

I personally don’t use the menus, but it would never occur to me to
disable them for new users or to suggest they disable them.

If you use a distribution that disables the menu bar, I would suggest
talking to them.  Perhaps this was done by an over-zealous person and
has long been forgotten by whoever maintains the package today.

--
Ricardo