RE: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: arthur miller
Subject: RE: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 00:36:26 +0000

-------- Originalmeddelande --------
Från: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
Datum: 2020-09-13 02:17 (GMT+01:00)
Till: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
Kopia: casouri@gmail.com, Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org, "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org>, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, ghe@sdf.org, tecosaur@gmail.com
Ämne: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

On 12.09.2020 17:31, Arthur Miller wrote:
> I guess most of you are familiar with Solarized, but for those that are
> not here is the original author's page that explains "the science"
> behind it:
>
> https://ethanschoonover.com/solarized/

Solarized themes are nice enough color-wise, but they are terribly
low-contrast. It's a struggle to simply read the text when coming other
applications which typically use higher contrast colors (e.g.
Thunderbird and the numerous web sites accessible from Firefox).

There is some addon, Solarized-dark everywhere for Firefox (or something similar) which makes Ffx render all websites in Solarized colors.

But to the topic, I indeed suggested to include Solarized in Emacs, but I also suggested to turn Batsov's implementation of Solarized into more general framework for defining color schemes in Emacs so that people can use it to easily create  and I stall whichever color scheme they like. Thus it does not need to be limited to low contrast at all.

It would make Emacs look more aesthetically pleasing if packages output data in more color consistent and coherent  way instead of everyone sprinkling hardcoded RGB values for their outputs.