Re: Dark mode by default

From: Daniel Martín
Subject: Re: Dark mode by default
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 12:02:24 +0200

> The recent proposal to use dark mode by default brings up a technical
> question: I thought Emacs's default foreground and background colors
> were not hardcoded by Emacs but were taken from the user's "general"
> config (i.e. the desktop environment).

In the case of macOS, Emacs does not use the system settings. Dark mode
only darkens the menu bar and tool bar, but the buffer is still black
text over white background. Some faces, like "region" *do* respect the
macOS color setting, though.

Most recent macOS applications usually offer three options for the
default color theme, just in case someone wants to override the system
setting for a particular application:

- Light
- Dark
- Auto (just use the system setting)