Re: Dark mode by default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Dark mode by default
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 17:24:54 +0300

> Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 09:21:08 +0200
> From: <tomas@tuxteam.de>
>
> On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 06:01:59PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > The recent proposal to use dark mode by default brings up a technical
> > question: I thought Emacs's default foreground and background colors
> > were not hardcoded by Emacs but were taken from the user's "general"
> > config (i.e. the desktop environment).
> >
> > Does this mechanism fail to work for some reason, or have desktop
> > environments just stopped providing that info?
>
> Yikes!
>
> So it turns out, after all that discussion (what /is/ better these
> days, anyway? Dark or light?) that Emacs was doing the right thing,
> after all?

Emacs always does the right thing.  By definition.

Anyway, I think we should stop the dispute about the colors.  Color
preferences are deeply individual, and whatever we do, someone will
want to change the defaults.  So we should simply offer enough color
themes to cover most of the spectrum (pun intended), and let the users
choose what they like, preferably from the "intro" buffer that is
being discussed in a parallel thread, or from some other command that
shows the available themes and asks the user to pick one.