Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 17:21:37 +0300

> From: Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 07:51:53 +0200
> Cc: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>, casouri@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
> ams@gnu.org,
>       monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, ghe@sdf.org, tecosaur@gmail.com
>
>  > The menu we have in C-mouse-3 does not show the most basic options like
> copy, paste, and so on
>  > access them fast.
>
>  Why should it?  We show the menu for the current major mode, which is
>  IMO more useful than basic editing.
>
> Is it? What feature of your major mode do you use more often than copy/paste?

Typing characters, of course.  I hope you will not suggest that we
should have a menu item for inserting a character.

My point is that frequency of operations is not the only criterion for
what to put on the context menu, not even the main one.  The most
important criterion, IMO, is what are the important operations that
would be otherwise much harder to discover and invoke.

We decided that the menu for the current major mode is a very good
approximation to what the user would like to have at his/her
fingertips.  There's probably some space for improving that, but I
think the basic principle that the context menu should depend heavily
on the major mode is valid and should be preserved.