Re: Changing line widths in the Emacs source code

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Changing line widths in the Emacs source code
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 08:09:40 -0700

Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es> writes:

> If the existing code won't change, then we will have parts of the
> codebase with a different style than others. The goal of having a code
> style is not much about the individual decisions, but about
> consistency.

What you say seems to imply that we can never change a stylistic
convention until someone produces a patch that fixes the entire source
tree to use it.  Maybe there is something in your argument that I don't
understand.

AFAIU, with a new convention code would slowly change over time.

> Also, what would happen if you change code in an existing file? Would
> you need to fit it in 80 columns, 100 columns? Our .clang-format file
> would format the code using 100 columns, so it'll probably do the wrong
> thing by default.

You would apply the new convention judiciously, just like you would do
today with the old one.  It's not like the current convention is
enforced strictly, and there are already examples when it's not being
followed.