Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 20:29:26 +0300

On 13.09.2020 14:50, Arthur Miller wrote:

A sun is much brighter than its background. Same for the light bulb.
Indeed. But eyes should get used to it if you stared at it. Get a big
wide lamp like they have at construction sites so it completely
overshadows the background. Eyes would still find too much light hard to
look at. It was just a comment on "more light is better" as I understand
your comment I answered; and that is why I think it does not apply in
this case.

Indeed, there is a certain limit, but as the example with daylight shows, it's considerably above the brightness of an average screen. Screen usually seem too bright because the room around them is darker, and the eyes have adapted to that particular level of illumination.

It is especially easy to notice if you take a laptop with you to work somewhere in a park in a bright day.

Observe that I am not an expert in such matters; so you might
as well be correct, I don't really know, I just have some sense it is
not that easy.

It might be not too easy to take my advice because the same dark themes you liked become that much less legible as soon as you lower the monitor's brightness. For example, if I set the brightness to 100%, the Solarized theme becomes legible enough (which I complained about earlier), and the Github background might indeed look too bright, which mirrors you experience.

As soon as I lower the brightness enough for a white background to be easy to look at, the same Solarized theme becomes unusable.

BTW, did you change the email client recently? It seems to use a different
quoting style, and it breaks discussion threads (creates a new one with easy
reply).
When I am not at home and have some spare time I answer from my phone.
But (observe!) I have edited bort "The email is changned from my *****
phone." since Thomas find it annoying :-).

Sorry for the inconvenience if it is hard to follow my mails; I tried to
make it easier by underscoring your text.

Just wanted to make sure you are aware.

The broken threading hurts the most, but an email is better than no email, so please don't worry about it too much.