Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 17:54:57 +0200

Marcus Harnisch <mh-mercurial@online.de> writes:

> On 13/09/2020 02.51, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
>> On 13.09.2020 03:36, arthur miller wrote:
>>> But to the topic, I indeed suggested to include Solarized in Emacs, but I
>>> also suggested to turn Batsov's implementation of Solarized into more
>>> general
>>> framework for defining color schemes in Emacs so that people can use it to
>>> easily create  and I stall whichever color scheme they like. Thus it does
>>> not
>>> need to be limited to low contrast at all.
>> Yes, it's an interesting idea. I don't have the time to explore it, but
>> others
>> are very welcome to.
>>
>>> It would make Emacs look more aesthetically pleasing if packages output data
>>> in more color consistent and coherent  way instead of everyone sprinkling
>>> hardcoded RGB values for their outputs.
>> Yup. It sounds like a big change, though.
>
> You may want to check out base16-emacs (https://github.com/belak/base16-emacs)
> and the base16 meta-theme approach in general.
Ok! I never heard of base16 before; I have just skimmed over the code of
it a bit.

I don't care which framework is used as long as there is some, but what
I can see by just skimming over the code on github, they use names
base0-base15 (in hex:-); I would prefer the Solarized naming scheme,
since it adds more "logical separation" base1-base8 and accent1-accent8.
If a 3rd party package would use such names, then accent1-accent8 would
be names they care about, unless that package is a theme. I would also
like to see more logical names (either a defvaralias or a macro)
describing what base1 is used for, something cs-main-backgroung
cs-main-foreground, cs-highlight-color etc.

> I believe it does get pretty close to what is being discussed here.
> Solarized is available as base16 variant.
Indeed the idea used in base16 seem to be very similar to what I proposed.

I checked hastily link provided and also like this idea too:

https://github.com/makuto/auto-base16-theme

"This script generates a base16 color theme intended for code syntax
highlighting from a source image."

But I don't understand if they mean they use the auto created theme just
for syntax highlighting or to theme gui elements. Does not matter.