Re: Interactive guide for new users

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 01:28:24 +0300

On 14.09.2020 15:41, John Yates wrote:
On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 1:39 PM Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:

On 13.09.2020 19:38, John Yates wrote:
An alternative UI model would be to think of growing a frame top
minibuffer as dropping down a shade over the existing window(s).
This dropping down would not trigger resizing.  Instead it would
obscure as much of the visible window(s) as necessary (at least
until the shade hits a window mode line or lower border).

That's what maple-minibuffer does, mentioned in my previous email in
this thread. With a link to a screencast.

Only up to a point...

The pop-up frame is fixed size.  When the maple framei s not
popped up the minibuffer remains at the bottom of the frame.

Do you mean the echo area or the commands which use the minibuffer which maple-minibuffer ignores? I'm not sure why 'eval-expression' is in 'maple-minibuffer:ignore-action' by default, but there must be some reason.

In any case, if we want this feature well-integrated, there must be some initiative from the maintainers toward that end.