Re: Interactive guide for new users

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 13:14:59 +0300

On 2020-09-16 06:30 +03, John Yates <john@yates-sheets.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 3:01 AM Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> wrote:
>> 3) Would it be possible to revert this back to the current behaviour
>> with a user option?
> Of course.  That is the emacs way.  And, were such minibuffer
> behavior ever to become available, I cannot imagine it being
> shipped as the default.  It would be opt-in.

Well that makes any other talk unnecessary.  So long as it’s an addition
and not a replacement (sorry for not noticing that part, a lot of
suggestions in these threads are at the cost of breaking existing users’
workflows that I read yours with some prejudice), it’s all the better
for everyone.  Good old TIMTOWDY.

>> 5) While a command palette at the bottom of the application is somewhat
>> obscure, one up top is probably novel. Frankly I don’t like the idea
>> of having a single empty line right in the line of my sight,
>> constantly, taking up space right where my eyes go by default when
>> reading stuff.
> You must live in a world devoid of title bars nor menu bars.

FWIW, that’s been the case for a pretty long time, and even these days
where I’m on a more traditional desktop (Cinnamon) I rarely find myself
using menus.  Tho the set of applications I consistently use is rather
small (Emacs, Qutebrowser/Firefox, Okular, Zotero, Terminal every now
and then), so I tend to know a decent chunk of keyboard shortcuts.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp / @cadadr / <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
pgp:   024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427