Re: Memory usage report

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Memory usage report
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 09:25:40 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 21:28:07 +0200
>
> >> (garbage-collect)
> >
> > This doesn't include memory we allocate for stuff that isn't Lisp
> > objects.
>
> Indeed.  A useful memory usage report would need more data, but it's a
> starting point...

Not that I'd object to formatting this in better ways (especially
since a package to do that is already on ELPA), but from experience,
memory related problems are very rarely in GC-related areas.  So for
diagnosing memory leaks, the GC report is not very useful.  See, for
example, the currently on-going discussion on the bug list, where
someone with a 5GB RSS of the Emacs process posted the output of
garbage-collect, which shows fewer objects and less memory taken by
them than in my 13-day old Emacs session whose total VM size is just
0.5GB.