Re: Patch for emacs/basic.texi

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Patch for emacs/basic.texi
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 08:09:52 +0200

Le ven. 18 sept. 2020 à 06:04, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> a écrit :
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

  > > +  On a graphics terminal, the easiest way to invoke @code{undo} is
  > > +with @kbd{C-/}; that doesn't need the shift key.  On a text terminal,
  > > +@kbd{C-/} does not exist, but usually you can type @kbd{C-_} without
  > > +the shift key and it will work anyway.
  > > +

  > Does this only make sense with a qwerty keyboard?

I don't think the keyboard _layout_ makes a difference.  An ASCII-only Dvorak
keyboard would presumably support the same control characters.

What matters is whether the keyboard uses ASCII or some wider character set.

If that's the case, that restriction should be made clear. A lot of people are using non-ascii keyboards. I agree that we can't expect the bindings to be convenient for all keyboards, but the documentation at least can be universal.