Re: Patch for emacs/basic.texi

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Patch for emacs/basic.texi
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 09:40:26 -0400

> +  On a graphics terminal, the easiest way to invoke @code{undo} is
> +with @kbd{C-/}; that doesn't need the shift key.

This is true for the US keyboard layout but is not true in general, so
it should be appropriately qualified.

> On a text terminal, +@kbd{C-/} does not exist, but usually you can
> type @kbd{C-_} without +the shift key and it will work anyway.

Similarly, I can imagine some terminals where C-/ works, as well as
keyboards where "_" doesn't require a shift key, or terminals where "C-_
without the shift key" won't send a byte-sequence that ends up bound to
`undo`.

E.g. I just tried `C-h k C--` in a "plain old xterm" here with a US keyboard
and Emacs told me:

    C-- (translated from M-[ 2 7 ; 5 ; 4 5 ~) runs the command
    negative-argument (found in global-map), which is an interactive
    compiled Lisp function in ‘simple.el’.
    [...]

OTOH, `C-h k C-/` in this same terminal gave me:

    \^_ runs the command undo (found in global-map), which is an
    interactive compiled Lisp function in ‘simple.el’.
    [...]

Could it be that you misremembered what was the "trick" behind having
both `C-/` and `C-_` keybindings (it's not `C--` but `C-/` that gets
mapped to C-_)?

        Stefan