Re: solarized

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: solarized
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 06:32:43 -0700

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> What I meant was having solarised as one of the options in the themes
> included by default as opposed to making it the default theme. I am one of
> those who almost always will need to tweak any theme because of specific
> vision issues I have. Starting with a good base theme and tweaking from
> there is a lot easier than having to start with a theme which is less
> suitable.  Emacs current comes with 14 'default' themes - I was just
> suggesting adding a version of solarized-light and solarised-dark to that
> list.

I don't imagine that anyone would be against that.  Why would they?

But we would need the help of the theme author to ensure that copyright
assignments are in order before it could be included in vanilla.  Maybe
someone interested in that could help look into it.

> In the long-term, I think an API and theme generator which makes it easier
> to create consistent or customize existing themes is the real solution.
> Emacs already has the most flexible infrastructure for creating themes, but
> working at the low level. setting each face individually, is slow and
> difficult, requiring lots of trial and error to get right. A good theme
> generator could make this easier, continuing Emacs' customizable and
> extensible forte.

I agree, FWIW.  It would be useful if someone could propose a patch or
start working on it in a feature branch, I think.