Re: Interactive guide for new users

From: Eduardo Mercovich
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 14:53:41 -0300

Hi Philip, thanks for your kind and fast feedback.
Sorry I replied to everyone in the thread, just wanted a slower jump
into this pond. It looks like I'm now completely in the water. :D

An issue I can imagine is that a lot of the options that would be
displayed in a wizard like this wouldn't mean too much to newcomers.
[...]

That's why a sample step/screen is included. The options are
(proposed to be) phrased in a way that could be understood without
knowing emacs.

I was actually doubting even to include in each a link to it's canonical
URL (I assume that it would be the one already in the package manager).

In the org-mode preferences "section" (let's call it that way because it
may have many steps) for example, leading stars should be explained (of
course, a screenshot would be the best):

Org-mode defines heading hierarchy with asteriscs (stars) as the 1st character
and arrange the left-alignment according to the heading level: 1 close to the
left margin and other ones moving to the right.
Some people prefer to have a simpler visual display and use only the
alignment (and the font size and/or color) to show the heading hierarchy.

Please select your option:
(1) Hide the leading stars

(2) Leave visible the leading stars

(9) I'd like to leave this step for now (you can always make it later).
(0) I want to stop this wizard now.

In this way, the User can always choose to stop, jump this option for
now, or take one of them.
Also, there should be a way to go back (not included in this rough
draft).

Without a way to test and find out what these options _mean_,
you would only be helping people that could already help themselves.

Testing with users is one of my specialties, I would happily make a
testing protocol before making the design, tests and development. In a
way, it is like TDD, but with interaction design...

--
eduardo mercovich

Donde se cruzan tus talentos con las necesidades del mundo, ahí está tu vocación. (Anónimo)