Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 09:45:43 +0200

On September 19, 2020 9:59:08 PM GMT+02:00, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Cc: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>, nicola.manca85@gmail.com,
>>  thibaut.verron@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 19:31:59 +0000
>> From: Andrea Corallo via "Emacs development discussions."
><emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>>
>> > If users don't read the normal splash screen, there is no reason to
>> > expect them to look at another "setup screen".
>>
>> I suspect they probably don't read it because there is too much
>> information already, adding more would just make it worst.
>
>Are you sure you don't say this as someone who've seen that page many
>times already?
>
>That page is made for people who start Emacs for the first time.  When
>they see that page for the first time, why would we assume they don't
>carefully read all of it?

There have been too many years of licences nobody reads and msoffice useless
splash. So people now install the programs just pressing next next next accept.

The problem is that 90% of the cases the information there is pretty useless
(publicity, license, offers for an account) so most people assume that in our
case it will be the same and usually ignores that.