Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen

From: Nicolas P. Rougier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 19:22:48 +0200

So how about "www.gnu.org/s/emacs" or "gnu.org/s/emacs"?

Thanks, didn't know this shortcut. This way I can split the link in "gnu.org" (for www.gnu.org) and "emacs" (for www.gnu.org/software/emacs) and leave the "/s/" inert.

So what's the point then? As far as I understand, this is supposed to be an ELPA package, but my understanding of splash screens is that they are displayed while an application is loading, to ensure the user that something is being done, or the computer didn't freeze. A spash-screen for the sake of it seems counter-intuitive, or am I missing something?

It is indeed mostly a cosmetic package to give user the choice of an alternative
startup screen.

Nicolas