Re: master 12ca463 1/4: ; * test/lisp/textmodes/css-mode-tests.el: Add T

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master 12ca463 1/4: ; * test/lisp/textmodes/css-mode-tests.el: Add TODO.
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 14:06:27 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

>> That said, please feel free to revert any commits you disagree with or
>> that gets in the way of your work.  I think it goes without saying that
>> I don't want to make debugging harder for you or anyone else.
>
> I guess unless I do the above, I don't have a moral standing to revert them?

Whatever you do, I think you have about the same moral standing as I had
to make the changes in the first place.  :-)

But maybe we can find a way to make everyone happy (see below).

> Having an ERT test per each file in there might seem a tad redundant
> given the above option, but maybe there are good reasons why nobody has
> fixed the situations yet. As long as said manual test files are present,
> in one form or another, the debugging workflows can be retained.

OK, that is encouraging.  Would arranging things more or less as in
commit b63c3535b0 be satisfactory then, or am I misunderstanding what
you mean?

>> But if there are limitations in debugging with ert, perhaps we should
>> work on improving its capabilities?
>
> It's capable enough in that regard (e.g. one can press 'd' and drop into
> the debugger, in the target buffer, exactly at the point of failure),
> yet still it requires more ceremony than the "manual" approach.

I agree that ERT's interactive UI could be more streamlined (that's why
I prefer running tests in batch).  Maybe we could think about ways to
remove some of the ceremony you are speaking of?