Is this possible/how do I?

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Is this possible/how do I?
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2020 16:47:57 +0100

I am trying to font-lock a buffer and append the buffer content to
another buffer in different major mode (an org-buffer -> dired buffer).

My strategy was to open buffer in temp-buffer; insert content, activate
major mode, make it do it's own magic and then just copy text with
properties. Yeah, right; no free-lunch seems lilke.

The buffer does not seem to be font-locked despite major mode (org-mode)
enabled in that buffer. Is font-lock run only when text is displayed
i.e. when I switch-to-buffer?

1. Is there any way to get it to font-lock when not displayed?

Once both buffered are font-locked; if I turn off font-locking than
those text properties are not shown; seems like font-lock has it's own
set of text properties?

2. Do I have to copy those, or is there any other way to get those two
buffers to be displayed as font-lock, without a particual major mode
font-locking active?

I am sorry if this is too noob question, it is just lots to read; I have
been experimenting, but I am not really into the details of font locking
and text properties yet.