Re: Proposal for an emacs-humanities mailing list

From: Arthur Miller
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 21:10:48 +0100

"Paul W. Rankin" via "Emacs development discussions."
<emacs-devel@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Eli,
>
> Sorry for the delayed response.
>
> Upon consulting Wikipedia, it seems that in the US the term "Humanities" has a
> narrower definition, i.e. as distinct from the arts and social sciences. For
> emacs-deval readers in the US, emacs-humanities would cover the Liberal Arts.
>
> So, a more precise description:
>
> This list is for general discussion on using GNU Emacs in the Humanities and
> Emacs-related topics that are interesting to those who study or otherwise
> participate in the Humanities (also called Liberal Arts in
> N. America). Discussion here welcomes contributions from any GNU Emacs user
> (or
> potential user) involved in the disciplines of: anthropology, archaeology,
> classics, history, linguistics and languages, law and politics, literature,
> philosophy, religion, or the performing or visual arts.
So are you making a list that will discuss anthropology or Emacs? Are
mathematics students who would like to discuss Emacs banned from the
list because mathematics are not humanities?

Sorry, I am a bit carricaturing here, but as a layman I don't get the purpose
from your description :-). Just trying to give you input from aside.

> Participants are assumed not to have programming knowledge and respected as
> such. Support that requires any writing of code should be directed to
> help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org.
>

> How's that? I'm ambivalent about listing all the separate disciplines... But I
> don't think this description needs to be set in stone; I imagine it will
> evolve
> as the list gains traction (or not).
I don't think you should have any hard-set category.

I suggest just the Emacs-for-non-programmers list or something similar;
if you think another channel is needed (I have no opinion about that one).