Re: Proposal for an emacs-humanities mailing list

From: Arthur Miller
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 22:07:22 +0100

>> I suggest just the Emacs-for-non-programmers list or something similar;
>
> Rather than focus on the profile of the expected user ("programmer" or
> "non-programmer") better focus on the expected topics or use-cases,

"topic" is a profile itself, just very narrower than what I suggested.
Focus on anthropoligst or archeologist is a focus on a profile already,
isn't it? Programmer/non-programmer is very much wider and more
practical than anthropoligsts/social scientist/philosoph/artist/and what not.

Obviously as I followed this for a day now or so, the OP is trying to
make a list for people who are not developers. So why bother with
"topics" at all? Just look at the discussion; it is already a discussion
about what topics to include and whatever, So unnecessary and time
consuming just because OP started from a category (or topic) as you call it
already. It is not very practical. People will think "do I beong
here"; does this topic belong here, shoujld I post somewhere else etc.
Someone will have to write definitions, expand those with time to come;
moderators will have to moderate topics and remind people to stay
within list topic etc :-). Think outside the box, you have seen that
from social media for 20 years now; from BB-forums to Reddit.