Re: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 15:06:17 -0600

On Wed Dec 2 2020 Stephen Berman wrote:
>   On Thu Jul 21 2011 Chong Yidong wrote:
>   > AFAICT, the alignment issue does not occur in Tabulated List mode, which
>   > uses :align-to.  In the short run, you might be able to get a clue about
>   > the correct fix from there.  In the long run, I think proced.el should
>   > be reworked to use Tabulated List mode.
>
>   Thanks, I'll have to find out what Tabulated List mode is doing.
>   I am just wondering: In general, proced was much inspired by dired.
>   Would you suggest that dired should likewise use Tabulated List mode?
>
> Maybe Roland (added to CC) can weigh in again.

I am sorry, there is not much I can contribute to this discussion.
I developed proced in 2008 when, I believe, tabulated list mode did
not yet exist.  In general, I am much in favor of not re-inventing
the wheel.  So even if tabulated list mode cannot yet provide all
the functionality that is useful for proced, it is probably better
if this is provided only once in tabulated list mode, and packages
like proced use it.  I will not miss the handcrafted solutions in
proced.