Re: pop-global-mark and info buffers

From: T.V Raman
Subject: Re: pop-global-mark and info buffers
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 12:15:45 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

Thinking more about this:

1.As a long time Emacs user, I suspect I almost never set the mark in
info buffers which is likely why I never got bitten by this.

2. The mark ring -- both local and global mark rings are powerful
   features but not very approachable to a new Emacs user, and this
   specific bug likely will drive at least some of them away.

   3. The fix to the error message will help, but it may be possible to
      do more for the user, e.g. if the marker is outside the narrowed
      portion of a buffer, widen and then jump there? We could also
      special case info so that we widen, jump and narrow to the node
      containing the marker.

      4. If we dont do 3, perhaps we could in the least jump to the
         buffer containing the mark, and change the error to a warning
         message that tells the user to widen the visible portion of the
         buffer and then tell him how to jump there after widening

--

Thanks,

--Raman
?7?4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  ?0?8