RE: pop-global-mark and info buffers

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: pop-global-mark and info buffers
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2020 22:11:17 -0800 (PST)

>    1. You're reading something in the info manual, and you set the mark.
>    2. You move on, do other things in other buffers.
>    3. You invoke pop-global-mark (C-x C-SPC) and as you cycle through,
>       hit the mark in the info buffer.
>
>       If you happen to have changed nodes in the info buffer after you
>       set the mark earlier, you get this error message --- which is
>       annoying:
>
>       Global mark position is outside accessible part of buffer

Yes, an Info node is a buffer restriction (a "narrowing").  The full buffer
contains the whole manual.  If you try to go to a marker (buffer position)
that's outside the current restriction (node) then you get that error.

For navigating among places you set in Info (same manual or not), you can do
either of these things:

1. Bookmark the places you want to come back to.
2. Use `L' to get a menu/index/TOC of your visited nodes.

Bookmarks are generally what you want, I expect.
___

If you use Bookmark+ you can use `bmkp-info-auto-bookmark-mode' to turn on/off
_automatic_ Info bookmarking.  That creates a bookmark for each node you visit,
with the node name as the bookmark name.

An option makes the node optionally only update, not create, such bookmarks.
You can toggle the option between `create-or-replace' and `update-only' with
command `bmkp-toggle-info-auto-type'.  (When you visit a bookmark it is
updated, which increases the visit count and the last visited time.)

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BookmarkPlus#AutomaticInfoBookmarking

(If you use Bookmark+ then bookmarks can also be temporary.  Even without
Bookmark+ you can just delete or not save bookmarks you create, if you don't
want to persist them.)