Re: Ad-hoc list structure tutorializing

From: Robin Tarsiger
Subject: Re: Ad-hoc list structure tutorializing
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2020 23:57:01 -0600

Richard Stallman wrote:
> add-to-list is oriented at modifying a variable symbol which need not> be
> constant.  You can use it with a quoted symbol, of course.
[etc.]

I will point out more concisely, in case my other message got
(perhaps rightfully) skipped, that I split off this subthread attempting
to better describe to Arthur why his new idea for the documentation
was poorly founded, and preempt certain other related ideas. My rhetorical
question, intended to help explain why add-to-list exists and is _not_
simply replaced with other list manipulation forms (in a way which I
imagined might confuse an elisp novice), was then quoted out of context
by itself to make it look like I was proposing to do that replacement.
(I believe this was accidental.) I was _not_ making such a proposal, and
I gave a longer list of potential reasons why not in the other message.

Since this has become more than cluttered enough already, this is the
last thing I will post on this topic unless personally asked.

-RTT