Re: Obtaining a database of new functionality per Emacs version

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Obtaining a database of new functionality per Emacs version
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 12:59:43 -0500

> Last time I tried that, I ended up launching M-x dunnet as side effect
> which kept my batch script from quitting, so I'd argue that it's not
> good enough for programmatic use.

Note that such behavior is considered as a bug.

> But then, maybe cus-dep.el has some
> secrets on how to avoid that interaction...

BTW, it looks like you're right: cus-dep.el doesn't actually load the
files, it only executes some of the forms it finds in the files
(`defcustom`, `defgroup`, ...).

In any case, I think for the job at hand, Eli's suggestion to take the
TAGs files as starting point sounds like the better idea since it should
make it much easier to collect information about old Emacsen (without
having to compile them successfully).

        Stefan