Re: Script for compiling more quietly

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Script for compiling more quietly
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 15:09:47 +0000

Thanks for your script, which is indeed handy. I attach a slighly improved version, which also "cleans" the autogen and configure steps, and which displays error/warning messages in bold red.

Looks nice, but it made a whole lot of stuff red when doing "bootstrap"?

Gosh, I forgot to filter out the initial Git repository setup! Fixed in the attached script. Now I only see three warnings in red with the current master: the famous https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/221 , two obsolete warnings in cedet/semantic/idle.el , and the (sporadic) Python shift/reduce conflict.

I also replaced your "nproc" by "expr $(nproc) / 2 + 1", IME using nproc makes the computer unuseable, and is not much faster than nproc/2+1.

It depends on whether you have Hypertheading, I guess -- I don't (on this laptop), so -j`nproc` is twice as fast as nproc / 2.

Absurdly enough, nproc doesn't have an option for "just say how many cores there are, OK?" But I guess one could parse /proc/cpuinfo to try to figure that out.

Yes indeed, that's it, somehow all computers I see/use have hyperthreading, and I concluded a bit too fast that this was always the case. Also fixed in the attached script, which uses /proc/cpuinfo.