Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 18:47:31 +0100

> Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:
>
>>> I don't think that's a good argument for having a GUI element that few
>>> people like,
>>
>> We have no data to support that.
>
> I know you're being funny, but: The only data we have does support that.

"Only data" != "data reliable enough to support decissions".

>>> and which may well be discouraging people from using Emacs
>>> at all (because it looks useless and out of touch).
>>
>> We have no data to support that.
>
> I did, very carefully, not claim that we do.

At some point on the past it was decided that having a toolbar was a
good thing. Switching it off just because a very poorly executed survey
barely resembles a democratic vote on its utility, without revisiting
the original motivation, is questionable.

Really, this kind of decissions should be based on guidance by UI
experts. Sadly, it seems that we have none onboard, same as every other
Free or Open Source projects around (and even most propietary ones).
They are very scarce.

BTW, I disable the toolbar (and the menu) on my config.