Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Philip K.
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 19:48:19 +0100

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

>>> We have no data to support that.
>>
>> I did, very carefully, not claim that we do.
>
> At some point on the past it was decided that having a toolbar was a
> good thing. Switching it off just because a very poorly executed survey
> barely resembles a democratic vote on its utility, without revisiting
> the original motivation, is questionable.
>
> Really, this kind of decissions should be based on guidance by UI
> experts. Sadly, it seems that we have none onboard, same as every other
> Free or Open Source projects around (and even most propietary ones).
> They are very scarce.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but can a non-Emacs UI expert really help with
something as other-worldly as Emacs? And I don't even mean this in an
elitist way, just that it has so many conventions and usage-patterns
from parallel UI traditions, that it might seem easier to just start all
over (which I'm not advocating for).

--
        Philip K.