Re: Let's make Emacs mainstream (through org-mode)

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Let's make Emacs mainstream (through org-mode)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 18:22:46 -0400

On 15 Dec 2020, James Lu wrote:
>I spent months of my life researching todo app.
>
>Every single todo list app would approximate some person's ideal todo
>list app, but every person complained it was missing oneĀ feature they
>needed.
>Emacs org-mode solves this problem.
>
>EitherĀ an app had too few buttons or too many buttons.
>Emacs org-mode solves this problem.
>
>Let's stop messing with code.
>
>Let's start hacking.
>
>Clever hacking is doing the impossible.
>Let's start writing GFDL guides and selling them.
>Let's start selling support plans.
>Let's start making Emacs org-mode a hot trend.
>Let's make the website RMS suggested where you can ask questions on
>org-mode, and see public answers.
>
>Who's with me?

Org Mode is very powerful, and some of the ideas you list above could be
successful.  I encourage you to try them!  But I think asking "Who's with me?"
is not a route to making them happen.  As Eli Zaretskii replied to an earlier
post of yours back in September [1]:

  > Nothing in Emacs gets done because someone asks a "why not do this
  > and that?" question.  We don't have a means to tell some employee to
  > do this and that job.  For a job to get done, someone motivated
  > enough should sit down and do it.  The best candidate for that is
  > whoever raises the issue in the first place, but of course not
  > everyone who proposes something can actually implement it.

Best regards,
-Karl

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-09/msg02110.html