Re: Let's make Emacs mainstream (through org-mode)

From: Vasilij Schneidermann
Subject: Re: Let's make Emacs mainstream (through org-mode)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 11:49:12 +0100

> Does anyone want to offer support for Emacs?

Plenty people offer support on community-run platforms such as Reddit
and Stackexchange. There's also the #emacs channel on Freenode to
consider. I've considered doing the jump to something more binding
before (like writing elisp at an hourly rate), but didn't find many
people actually willing to pay for that. It seems to me that the
challenge is Bringing people willing to offer support and people willing
to pay together.

> I have a feeling that a flat rate of 5 or 15 dollars a month would
> be a difficult way to run such a business.

There are several fund raising platforms (Patreon being the most
well-known, but not the only one) that aim to incentivize a group of
people to support creators for a small monthly fee (usually between 1 to
20 dollar), given enough of them, it is possible for the most popular
creators to live off that. I support a few Emacs Lisp hackers that way
and I expect more of them to get into such platforms.

Another thing to consider is funding in general. There is this
widespread misbelief that one can support the development of Emacs and
Emacs packages by donating to the FSF. Giving people an official option
to that effect might be worth looking into.